Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS), established in Vlissingen, has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 140 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known all over the world for its high quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and civil maritime sector.
Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is established in Vlissingen and Schiedam. With over 500 professionals and rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original roots stemming back more than 150 years. For more than 50 years Damen Naval is the dedicated shipbuilder for the Royal Netherlands Navy. Based on decades of accumulated experience Damen Naval offers navies worldwide a broad range of defence and security vessels, ranging from 7m to more than 200m in length. Damen Naval is the only naval original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in the Netherlands. Damen Naval has delivered more than 420 vessels to satisfied customers all over the world and have earned a reputation for excellence along the way. While taking pride in heritage, Damen Naval is looking towards the future, are you ready for duty?
The Electrical & Automation department is part of the multidisciplinary Engineering department and responsible for the design, specification, selection and integration of all electrical and automation systems on board of our vessels. These systems are very extensive and include electrical power distribution, lighting, platform automation, navigation, communication, networking and IT systems and much more. All systems are based upon Client requirements and applicable rules & regulations, while they are engineered in close cooperation with suppliers, co-makers and other departments.
The main activities within this department are:
- Requirements Engineering and development of conceptual system designs;
- Development of technical specifications for (subcontracted) systems;
- Technical review of offers from suppliers and co-makers, together with the procurement department;
- Development of functional system descriptions and diagrams;
- Integration of electrical parts and systems in close cooperation with the main co-makers;
- Management of all electrical/data interfaces between (subcontracted) systems;
- Development and review of test protocols;
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests for main subcontracted systems;
- Support the building yard during production and commissioning till delivery of the vessel;
- Contribute to design studies and proposals for new projects.
As Senior Engineer Automation you will be working at Damen Naval in Schiedam on a broad variety of tasks in the field Automation Engineering and will be involved from the very first (proposal) phase in the project to perform design proposals and calculations. During the execution of the project, you will work in a team of several engineers in order to deliver the requested engineering deliverables. As Senior Engineer Automation you will implement deep technical and practical knowledge into solid and innovative designs.
- Contribute to the engineering process by developing the required deliverables, such as specification documents, functional descriptions, schematic drawings and test/validation plans;
- Perform the required technical calculations/analysis to prove the design;
- Participate in design checks and reviews in order to guarantee the required quality;
- Compose technical/functional specification documents and verify technical performance of vendors and subcontractors;
- Perform cost analysis on received offers, in close cooperation with the Purchase department;
- Ensure full compliance to all applicable requirements and specifications, imposed by Class and the customer;
- Offer support for producing and submitting proposals to our customers and technical support or commissioning activities to projects under contract;
- Manage vendors and subcontractors to get their timely contribution to the project;
- Contribute to the further development of the E&A Engineering department;
- Develop and describe standards and working methods.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Engineering, Technical Automation, Electrical Engineering or another relevant technical discipline;
- Minimum experience of three years in the design and installation of complex Automation systems;
- Vast experience and broad knowledge of automation and instrumentation systems, preferably in ships, offshore or industrial installations;
- Experience in the functional development of Control & Monitoring systems and used to work on Class-regulated products;
- Experienced in Good Engineering Practices work in complex project environments and with and manage third-party vendors and subcontractors;
- Good command of the Dutch and English language (written & verbal) and mastery of German language is a plus, but not essential;
- Excellent antecedents as a pre-employment security screening and investigation are a part of the recruitment procedure (given the military nature of our projects);
- EU citizenship or valid EU work visa is required to be considered as a viable candidate.
We highly value our employees and support your professional and personal development. Therefore we invest in all our employees by:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment;
- A competitive salary package & other benefit;
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment;
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Interested in this job? Or need more info? Please send your resume to Puk Steenbergen via firstname.lastname@example.org