Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS), established in Vlissingen has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 145 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known worldwide for its quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and commercial sector.
Over the decades the emphasis on quality continued and in 2001 Damen Shipyards Group acquired Royal Schelde along with all of its subsidiaries. Following the acquisition, Damen then introduced its unique, standardised modular construction concept in Vlissingen too, allowing us to offer very fast delivery times.
We have delivered more than 400 vessels since 1875 to satisfied customers all over the world and have earned a reputation for excellence along the way. We have achieved this status by producing vessels that have a lifespan that far exceeds the average by offering cutting-edge technology and the most cost efficient design solutions.
The Naval & Structural group is part of the department Engineering. The employees work on project base divided over the various projects, in which they contribute to both basic engineering and detailed engineering within their field of expertise.
You will make a structural design completed with relevant structural calculations starting from proposal phase up to yard support and delivery of the vessel. From general construction plans up to detailed calculations and integrated foundations will be part of the job. Calculations aspects are strength, stiffness, vibrations, buckling, fatigue, military loads such as blast and signatures aspects (for example inboard- and underwater sound), producibility, maintainability, etcetera. If necessary, FEM calculations have to be applied. You will be responsible for the relevant project deliverables from class approval of the structure up to technical meetings with your colleagues and suppliers, class or client representatives. You will direct the structural engineers in modelling the structure in 3D-CAD ending up with checking drawings and production packages You can be asked to contribute in R&D initiatives on behalf of the DSNS structural analysis discipline if needed. Also contributions to the department to secure knowledge and improve (internal-) processes is highly appreciated.
- Delivers quality engineering work within time, budget and according to the relevant quality standards.
- Executes his task/role according to the relevant contractual documents and specifications while constantly remaining critical on the content.
- Assists in the further improvement and development of processes and methodologies.
- Supports and pro-actively coaches the junior Engineers.
- Performs technical evaluations of quotations from suppliers and subcontractors in close cooperation with the purchasing department.
- Ensures full compliance to all applicable requirements imposed by customer and regulatory bodies.
- Can defend technical solutions and communicates these clearly with stakeholders.
- Responsible for integration of delivered components/systems into ship design in close cooperation with internal departments, supplier, regulatory bodies and owner.
- Performs required technical calculations to validate the design.
- Support the (detailed) engineering of an outsourced engineering package.
- Integrates vendors and subcontractor’s info.
- Supports design checks and design reviews.
- Ensures full compliance to all applicable requirements and specifications imposed by Regulatory Bodies and the customer.
- Develop and describe standards and working methods.
- Ensure all HSEQ policies and procedures are in place, understood, owned, maintained and followed to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Technical degree at Bachelor or Master of Science level, preferably in Naval Architecture or Mechanical Engineering.
- Also an intermediate/secondary vocational education (mbo) with relevant (practical-) experience in the field of ship structures will be invited to apply.
- A minimum of three (3) years of working experience as a Structural Analyst in the shipbuilding/offshore industry
- Familiar with ship class calculations and class tools, such as DNV-GL Nauticus Hull, LR-SSC and/or BV MARS2000.
- Familiar with FEM modelling and analysis software, such as ANSYS, NX or FEMAP.
- Preferably familiar with CAD systems, such as NUPAS (3D) or Catia.
- Creative within your field.
- Accurate, decisive and efficient.
- Capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Good knowledge of English and preferably Dutch, both verbally and in writing.
- Prepared to travel within the Netherlands and abroad.
We highly value our employees and support your professional and personal development. Therefore we invest in all our employees by:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment.
- A competitive salary package & other benefits.
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Interested? Please send your resume to: email@example.com
Want more info? Call Toon van der Wulp: +31 6 11618742