Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS), established in Vlissingen, has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 140 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known all over the world for its high quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and civil maritime sector.
Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. You could join our team – over 500-strong – of professionals in our location in the beautiful province of Zeeland on the south-west coast of the Netherlands. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is renowned internationally for its on-time, on budget delivery of high quality naval vessels, as well as its role of full service provider, or integrator, throughout the lifecycle of its products. The division has a rich history reaching back over 140 years and is proud of its long tradition of serving the Royal Netherlands Navy (RNLN), the launching customer of eight successive generations of Damen Combatants. Today, Damen Naval operates yards and specialist engineering companies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Romania and additionally constructs vessels at non-Damen locations of clients’ choosing all around the world. Damen Naval is looking towards the future. Together with its partners, the division undertakes in-depth R&D with a view to optimising the efficiency of naval shipbuilding processes for the future. Are you ready for duty?
The Electrical & Automation department is part of the multidisciplinary Engineering department of Damen Naval and responsible for the design, specification, selection and integration of all electrical and automation systems on board of our vessels. These systems are very extensive and include electrical power distribution, lighting, platform automation, navigation, communication, networking and IT systems and much more. All systems are based upon client requirements and applicable rules & regulations, while they are engineered in close cooperation with suppliers, co-makers and other departments. The main activities of this department are:
- Requirements Engineering and development of conceptual system designs;
- Development of technical specifications for (subcontracted) systems;
- Technical review of offers from suppliers and co-makers, together with the procurement department;
- Development of functional system descriptions and diagrams;
- Integration of electrical parts and systems in close cooperation with the main co-makers;
- Management of all electrical/data interfaces between (subcontracted) systems;
- Development and review of test protocols;
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests for main subcontracted systems;
- Support the building yard during production and commissioning till delivery of the vessel;
- Contribute to design studies and proposals for new projects.
Establishment and management of the concept design of ship Electrical and Automation systems for complex naval ships as part of the proposal process in the pre-contract stage. Performs product development and innovation projects on Manning & Automation and Electrical systems under the direction of the Product Manager and indications of the Proposal Engineer. Writes clear reports and specifications and works closely with Customer- & Industry stakeholders, fellow- Design Engineers and other colleagues of disciplines assigned to the proposal-project.
- Performs design/proposal activities in consultation with the proposal engineer;
- Design Tasks: High quality design of a.o..: Electric system Architecture, Electric load balance, Electromagnetic Control Measures, Integrated Ship Management Systems Layout, Subsystem evaluations & selections, developing innovative concepts;
- Proposal Tasks. Writing clear technical specifications and -reports, making presentations; Performing relevant Cost Calculations and – Evaluations, Risk Assessments, Drafting Management Plans and Schedules;
- Contribute to innovation projects in seminars and working groups;
- Effective communication / Coordination with internal and external stakeholders to maximize results;
- Contributes to the further development of the P&P department;
- Ensure all HSEQ policies and procedures are followed to ensure a safe and healthy work environment;
- A bachelor or Master degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or another relevant Technical Study;
- Experience in design & proposal processes;
- Expertise and experiences in a variety of (computerized) design/innovation methods and -practices;
- Experience in design & integration of Electrical/Electronic systems preferably in complex (naval) ships;
- Good command of the Dutch & English language (written & verbal);
- Ability to frequently travel long distances and work abroad;
- Excellent antecedents as a pre-employment security screening and investigation are a part of the recruitment procedure (given the military nature of the project);
- EU citizenship or valid EU work visa required to be considered as viable candidate.
We highly value our employees and will support your professional and personal development. To that end we invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment;
- A competitive salary package & other benefits;
- On-going learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment;
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in this job? Or need more info? Please apply and send your resume to Puk Steenbergen via email@example.com