The GKN Fokker Elmo Research & Technology (R&T) department is looking for an ambitious (Senior) Research Engineer/Specialist who wants to apply his/her theoretical background to the development of future Electrical (Wiring) Interconnection Systems for sustainable aircraft. Electrical Wiring Interconnection Systems (EWIS) already became more prevalent as part of the More Electric Aircraft, however today the journey to full Electric and Hybrid-Electric aircraft adds a new chapter to its technology significance. This will include both High Voltage High Power (HVHP) EWIS developments as well as disruptive technologies for the transmission of low voltage data signals.
A full-time position in the Research & Technology (R&T) department of Fokker Elmo, part of GKN Aerospace. You will participate in European research in collaboration with universities and research institutes, working at the forefront of innovation. In this position, you will be performing trade-off studies and optimizing design by multi-physics analyses, thereby supporting the design, development and validation & verification activities of High Voltage / High Power aerospace EWIS.
You will report to the Technology Team Lead of the Future Electrical Interconnection System (Future EIS) Technology program. The R&T department currently consists of 10-15 Technologists and will grow up to 20-25. The place of work will at the GKN Fokker Elmo Head Quarters in Hoogerheide, The Netherlands.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor / Master degree Aerospace or Electrical Engineering or a similar subject field;
- Electrical engineering, including laboratory activities for test and evaluation in both the analog and digital domain
- Familiarity with multi-physics, power distribution and data network concepts and principles
- EMI/ EMC knowledge (far/near HV cable field effects and on other systems around);
- Physical effects on high voltage system (e.g. transmission line effects, thermal and others);
- High voltage design (electrical, thermal) verification (prepare and execute testing and/or analysis).
- Ability to apply electric/electronic engineering principles onto electrical interconnection systems within the context of aircraft design, including the understanding of the mutual interdependencies;
- Experience with electrical system modelling tools (Matlab, Simulink, SPICE, etc.)
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools (COMSOL, Ansys, etc.) and methods
- A self-starter with good communication skills is a must.
- Analytical ability: able to think at an abstract level and identify interrelationships;
- Innovative: has creative ideas to improve processes and products, and translating into action;
- Initiative: is proactive, i.e. assertive and takes the initiative to ensure performance and delivery;
- Self-learning: willing to learn and explore, share knowledge with colleagues and improve yourself.
A leading player in the design, manufacturing and support for the Electrical Wiring Interconnection Systems (EWIS) for Aerospace and Defense programs. Their innovative tools and processes support customers and represent a Unique Selling Point.
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading tier one aerospace supplier of systems and components. With over 15,000 employees across 38 manufacturing sites and 4 Global Technology Centers, they serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers with sales of £2.5bn. GKN Fokker Elmo employs >2200 employees worldwide.
An innovative and international workplace in a company with a rich history in the field of aircraft construction. The company has a passion for technology and their staff is rightly proud of what they develop and build. At GKN Fokker Elmo, you will get every opportunity to build your career and work on your personal development!
Ready for take-off?
Information with regards to the recruitment procedure: interviews are planned in August & September. Start is planned for September – October 2022.