Damen Naval, established in Vlissingen, has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 140 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known all over the world for its high quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and civil maritime sector.
For more than 50 years Damen Naval has in fact been the dedicated shipbuilder for the Royal Netherlands Navy and we have worked alongside the Royal Netherlands Navy on the design, engineering and construction of eight generations of combat vessels, as well as amphibious vessels and naval auxiliaries. Based on decades of accumulated experience Damen Naval now offers navies worldwide a broad range of defence and security vessels, ranging from 7m to more than 200m in length.
The Combat Systems department has an integral task within Engineering. The department aims to capture the extensive and specialist knowledge of naval sensor, weapon and command systems and manage the subcontracted suppliers of these systems with the ultimate objective of successful development, integration, installation and optimal functioning of these systems on board the vessel. To achieve this goal, the department is involved throughout the entire development process, from tendering through to the final acceptance of the (subcontracted) product. This characterizes the department as being a technical discipline with a commercial mindset and strong technical project and contract management capabilities.
Are you able to work with and (project) manage international sub-contractors (suppliers) to deliver against the contract, acting as the technical interface between the sub-contractor and the internal project organisation?
Do you enjoy taking part through the entire development process from tendering up to final product acceptance?
As Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems you will specify, coordinate and manage the project of all the technical activities for sub-contracted combat systems, covering above water and underwater sensor systems, weapon, command and control, communication, and navigation systems. This includes activities related to the definition, procurement, engineering, interfacing, installation, verification, and acceptance of the relevant combat systems for large design and build projects. This to achieve a successful integration of the various combat systems into an effective naval combat suite for the developed ships and optionally the related land-based facilities that Damen Naval delivers to its customers.
As Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems you will:
- Support the combat system engineering group on sustained performance by delivering quality engineering products within budget and on a timely basis.
- Coordinate and facilitate the sub-contractor (supplier) contribution to the project(s) during preparation and execution phases.
- Take ownership of the assigned subcontracts for the project to drive and attain targeted results within the set project constraints for schedule, quality and cost.
- Ensure full compliance with all applicable requirements and specifications, as imposed by Damen Naval and our customer.
- Organise or participate in project reviews.
- Secure planning, execution and synchronisation of project activities related to all deliverables and obligations of the sub-contractor, ensuring the proper integration of the related system.
- Participate during contractual milestones, tests, and trials, such as FAT’s, HAT’s and SAT’s, acting as the accepting party.
- Assist the warranty authority on all warranty queries and issues that have been identified in relation to the sub-contractor.
- Advise the Products & Proposals department on proposals for (new) systems for new opportunities and project proposals.
- Support project and proposal evaluations and subcontract evaluations on all aspects, including cost-benefit analyses.
- Assist the Combat System Integrator by defining, establishing and testing of functional and physical interfaces.
- Ensure all company HSSEQ and departmental IMED policies and procedures are in place, understood, owned, maintained and adhered to.
- Technical University or Higher professional education degree (MSc-level) in a relevant field, preferably in Electrical, Aerospace, Maritime or Systems Engineering.
- Relevant knowledge of naval combat systems is strongly recommended, or else at least knowledge and experience with other highly complex technical systems.
- Experience with technical subcontract management with international sub-contractors (suppliers)
- Good contract management skills and affinity with legal language and technical terminology.
- Good project management experience and ideally with project management qualification.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical concepts and common engineering practices, obtained through experience in relevant engineering role(s).
- Ability to oversee the bigger picture, while keeping a sharp eye on the critical details.
- Experience working in (complex) project environments in a matrix organisation.
- Excellent command of the English language, Dutch and/or German language knowledge or willingness to learn is desirable
- Solid communication skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with sub-contractors.
- Competencies: self-starter, works independently and in a team, pro-active, decisive and takes action as required.
- Willingness and flexibility to travel abroad to from time to time, when and as required to support project activities and objectives.
We highly value our employees and will support your professional and personal development. To that end Damen Naval invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment.
- A competitive salary package & other benefits.
- On-going learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Interested in this job? Mail your resume to: email@example.com
Need more info? Don’t hesitate to contact Toon van der Wulp +31 6 11618742